Lindale job fair planned for Sanderson Farms

Posted

A job fair for hourly employment opportunities with Sanderson Farms is scheduled over a two-day period beginning Tuesday, Aug. 14 at Tyler Junior College’s North Campus in Lindale, company officials announced.

Other sessions and times are: Wednesday, Aug. 15 and Thursday, Aug. 16. Times are 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Officials said job seekers can attend any one of the nine session times to learn more about the various career opportunities available with the company.

Sanderson Farms is looking to hire more 1,400 hourly team members for its newest poultry complex currently under construction in the Lindale Industrial Park, in Winona and Mineola.

Initial operations are scheduled to begin in early 2019, officials said.

Sanderson Farms, the third-largest poultry producer in the United States, has operations in five states and 17 cities.

The arrival of Sanderson Farms was announced on March 22, 2017 by Smith County officials, who estimated the economic impact for the Lindale-area to be $1.4 billion during the first 10 years of operation.

Sites in Lindale, Winona and Mineola were selected for construction of a new feed mill, hatchery, poultry processing plant and a waste water treatment facility.

“This is a win-win for everyone,’’ said Lindale Mayor Jeff Daugherty. “It will be the biggest push for Lindale since Target (the distribution center located just off Interstate 20 near the Lindale Industrial Park.)’’

Easy highway access to and from the Lindale Industrial Park as well as the Lindale Relief Route off Loop 49 (scheduled for completion next year) were key reasons Sanderson officials were impressed with the Lindale site, said Tyler Economic Development President Tom Mullins said.

“As work on Loop 49 is completed trucks will be able to move from the Lindale area to Mineola in about 15 minutes,’’ Mullins said.

According to company officials, these facilities will comprise a state-of-the-art poultry complex with a capacity to process 1.25 million birds per week for retail chill pack customers.

Officials estimated once the facilities are at full capacity, approximately 1,700 people will be employed as well as the need for 80 contract growers.

The plants will be equipped to process and sell approximately 375 million pounds of dressed poultry meat annually at full production, officials said.

Sanderson Farms expects to invest some $200 million in the new complex and added an additional $135 million will come from poultry production facilities.

Each job fair session will last approximately three hours and will include a presentation highlighting key employment information such as pay rates, employment benefits, job responsibilities and pre-employment screening requirements.

Entry-level hourly employees begin earning $12.20 or more per hour, with wages varying according to shift time.

Employees who have been with Sanderson Farms for three months or longer are eligible for wage increases based on their tenure with the company. After one year, employees earn $13.55 per hour with employees working on the night shift earning $14.05 per hour.

Sanderson Farms pays 75 percent of the cost of employee health premiums while employees pay the remaining 25 percent as their premium.

Sanderson Farms’ benefits package also includes a 401(k) Plan and Employee Stock Ownership Plan.

For more information and to register for Sanderson Farms’ job fair, visit www.sandersoncareers.com.

Comments

Special Sections